Landels Mission Statement
Our mission is to achieve academic and social excellence for every child by creating a culture of respect, collaboration and continuous improvement.
Miss Edith Landels began teaching kindergarten classes in a store front at 275 Castro Street in 1916. In August of that year, a bond measure passed that allocated $9,000 for the construction and equipping of Dana Street School, the second elementary school in Mountain View. This school was the precursor of Edith Landels School. It was located on Dana Street between Oak Street and Shoreline Boulevard, the site of the current fire station. The single story stucco school opened in June of 1917. Its five rooms for kindergarten, first and second grades, office, and teacher's room were considered very modern at the time. The school was enlarged in 1921 to include third grade.
Miss Landels taught kindergarten in classroom number 2 at the Dana Street School all the years that it existed. In 1955, Dana Street School was condemned because of structural faults. The school continued to be used until 1959, however; there was no place else for the students to go. In 1957, the school trustees decided to name a modern, sleek 18-room replacement school after Miss Landels. Edith Landels Elementary School was completed in 1959 at a cost of $687,000. Miss Landels taught her final kindergarten class at the new Landels School and then retired after 43 years of teaching in Mountain View.
Take a listen: